Sunday 10 January 2010

Treasure Island

One day I thought I’d be able to ignore my fear of freeways and the fact that I get easily lost. I got into my car, Golfinho. The destination was El Cerrito. After about 30 minutes on the road, hoping in vain for a traffic jam, so I wouldn’t have to drive at 70 miles an hour, I noticed a toll way (?) I could have been mistaken, but I did not recall a toll in the way to El Cerrito. And I had no cash. So, I caused my dearest traffic jam by stopping for a few minutes to talk to the toll guy: “Excuse me, where am I?” He replied with a serious look. There were signs everywhere telling me I was about to enter the Bay Bridge, that is, the bridge to San Francisco. “I wasn’t supposed to be here; I was going from Concord to El Cerrito and I know San Francisco is not in between these two towns, is it?” “Ma’am, it is $2. You will need to cross the bridge now and make a U-turn in Treasure Island.” “Sir, I’m sorry I do not have $2 on me. Do you take credit cards? Debit cards?” By that time, the drivers behind me began to honk and it became loud. I was more concerned about Golfinho, my car, heating up, of course, he could also run out of brake fluid or oil, or he could have another episode of just stopping there for a good 15 minutes (never happened for longer than that). I mean, besides him being more unpredictable than me, we were cosmically connected: When I was upset, he was upset… The toll guy gave me a ticket and told me to mail in a check for $2 within two business days.

Golfinho and I went on to Treasure Island. We were shaking while tourists were everywhere taking pictures of that sunny day in San Fran. I didn’t want to hit anyone, so I tried to concentrate on the road. That was tough, though: the sky was so blue and the sun so yellow and everyone seemed happy and the view from Treasure Island is (this is so typical!!! I can’t believe I’m actually missing SF!!! We really never place happiness where we are!) pretty. Yes, I do regret I didn’t stop in Treasure Island for a few minutes to watch the pretty view. But then, magic came into my story, as usual, and I magically arrived safe in El Cerrito.


Asking myself now when I’d feel that Treasure Island feeling again, I realize I won’t. And I probably won’t feel that Piccadilly Circus feeling again, as I no longer feel that Ipanema posto 10 feeling. Everything changes gradually and it is for sure late when we look back to notice it.

Followers