Wednesday 24 April 2013

Everywhere But Here


We had wine outside, organic food.
The wind in my hair. Warm and chilly.
I pretended to laugh at his conventional jokes and comments.
While my mind traveled back and forth, everywhere.
Another sip, and another, and another.
He's still talking.
It's ok, I guess. My aloof look.
While people watching.
Imagining vampires among us.
My plate is almost empty.
I don't know what he's saying anymore.
Bankers can be self-absorbed.

Life coincidences steal my thoughts.
And the world seems minuscule.
And we don't know
whether we're living the wrong life.
One that wasn't meant for us.
For what we didn't say 100 years ago.
The talks we were meant to have.

I'm here but I'm not.
Concentrating on the wine.
Organic grapes in a sunny vineyard.
Debris to an enchanted  chateau.
on a sunny day such as today.
And I apologize for being everywhere
except with you.

I love this song.
From 1998. University Campus life.
When you were in High School.
I took surfing lessons in Pacific Beach,
bungee-jumped in L.A.,
went to dorm parties,
Sober. Completely sober.
I even knew how to dance.
I look up, blue skies, half twilight...
You're still talking...

Followers